Saturday, October 21, 2006

Made in Taiwan

:-) New Toy
Remember I've been having problems with my DVD player? Discs either skipping or not playing at all - was really winding me up. Not likely to be able to get it repaired here either.

I was wondering what to do about it while walking round the supermarket today, when we found one of those slim, cut-price DVD players: DVD, VCD, MP3, CD-R - you name any kind of disc and this baby'll play it. Plus it's multi-region AND it's got slots on the front for USB devices and memory cards, so you can take photos on your digital camera and play them back right through the TV. And all this for 179SR (about £28). Can't go wrong! Got home and hooked it up to the amplifier as easy as pie, so now I've got two DVD players hooked up, just in case my main one decides to play up again.

:-( Quality Workmanship?
It's now been installed for a few hours and I'm starting to have my doubts. Every DVD I load plays with subtitles whether I ask for them or not, and the sound keeps "hicupping". And the remote control only seems to work if you hold it about six inches away from the front panel - great!

2 comments:

Word Imp said...

Hi Joe
Yikes! Sounds like it could be a case of getting what you pay for, sadly. It's hard to tell though, because some of our best deals have been bargains which have lasted and lasted. You can never tell. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

Chris said...

Thaks for the good wishes Word Imp. Things are improving already. The remote works fine if you point it down at the floor (took a while to find this out) and the subtitles thing is actually a "feature": you can tell the DVD player that you always want subtitles in English and will auto-select that each time you insert a disc - handy if you're hard of hearing, although not sure why this was set as the default. I've even found the English manual lurking in the bottom of the box to add to the Arabic one.

Looks like a bargain after all!
Chris